Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Sweet escape

I’m one of those people who love to read bumper stickers stuck to other people’s cars, but will never stick one on my own car. Yesterday I saw a great one that said: Escaped from Wisconsin!
Of course the notion is relevant because most people come to Florida to escape the cold and bitter winters of the north. And yesterday, and the rest of this week for that matter, the weather was, and is, supposed to be particularly gorgeous.
The thermometer has finally dipped below the 90 degree mark and, more importantly, the humidity is all but gone. In fact, today we may not even reach 70 for a high and we could wake up in the 40s tomorrow morning. For myself, whose blood like water, this is sweater, boots, and heavy jacket weather.
Despite the chilliness, there’s a palpable energy in the air that comes with the change of weather. It reminds me of that first day up north when the blast of cold, winter air dims to a light breeze and suddenly the sun is shining bright and the warmer temperature allows you to turn off the heat and roll down the car windows.
That’s what yesterday was like here in Southwest Florida. Except instead of the heat, I turned off the air-conditioner that’s been on non-stop since probably April, opened up the windows, and turned up the radio. Everyone else must have felt the same way because drivers were driving crazier than usual.
I, for once, was content to drive behind every slow poke, relishing the sunshine, the bright blue sky, and the wind through my hair. I did everything I could so my day stuck in a windowless cubicle could start later than normal.

1 comment:

Naples Florida said...

This was your best post yet!