Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Walking the boards in Jersey

New Jersey was another of our destinations this summer, and beings that I am from Jersey, it would be all-out rude not to include it in my blog.

Yes, even from a very young age, I was always eager to leave Jersey, but believe it or not there are many things I do miss about it. Mostly food related, of course.

Many of you reading this might be thinking what is so great about Jersey?!

I'll never forget one of my college boyfriends being literally shocked to see stretches of farmland in a state he thought only consisted of refineries. I was pleased that his visit dispelled that myth.

Where I'm from in Central Jersey, that's really all there is ... farms, farms and more farms. So naturally the only thing to look forward to is food ... oh, and the shore. Yes, I may live in Naples and the beach is just minutes from my home, but that's all it is ... a beach. Sand and warm water. Woo hoo.

In Jersey, there's the boardwalk with skeeball and mini golf and batting cages. More importantly, there's pizza and boardwalk fries and fudge and waffles and ice cream and funnel cake ... now I'm hungry!

Thankfully this time we visited Jersey in early September so the boardwalk was still open before closing up for the winter months. Don't get me wrong ... even when we have come up in the winter, I've made a trip to the boardwalk just to walk the boards even if I couldn't buy fries and fudge and ... well you know the rest!

So our evening at the boardwalk involved lots of noshing and lots of skeeball. And with all our skeeball tickets we got bracelets full of glitter, a tribute to our glory days back in the 80s.

No comments: