Wednesday, July 1, 2009

My photo gets the networking ball rolling

Welcome to my adventures in networking. As your typical introverted freelance writer (yes, sad but true, I am generalizing) who prefers to remain safely behind my computer screen, socializing on any level is a struggle! Here's what I am doing to change that.


Some people love to see their photo in a magazine or newspaper. I am not one of those people.

Even when I was the editor of a growing weekly newspaper, I shied away from having my photo appear next to my column. I just didn't want the added exposure.

However, this past April when the editor of the Naples Florida Weekly, a paper I freelance for, approached me about writing a weekly business column that would also feature my photo, well I was nervous but I wasn't about to turn down the opportunity.

What I wasn't prepared for was the recognition it brought me! While I had been writing for the newspaper for several months, no one, except close friends and family, realized this because very few people actually take the time to notice a story's byline. What they do notice, however, is my photo!

This added exposure has not only brought compliments but some networking opportunities, too, which hopefully will open doors to future freelance writing work. Thus far, I've been invited to help plan the 2010 American Cancer Society's event (Viva Naples!) here in Naples where I will provide my writing skills to effectively promote the three-day extravaganza. Also, former colleagues have contacted me letting me know they saw my column and would love to catch up.

Who knew that having a photo in the local newspaper could actually help me in my networking quest?! What a great marketing tool!

No comments: