Wednesday, June 17, 2009

7 Steps to Make Networking Work for You

Welcome to my adventures in networking. As your typical introverted freelance writer (yes, sad but true, I am generalizing) who prefers to remain safely behind my computer screen, socializing on any level is a struggle!

This morning I attended another session (it's a three-part series) of the Advanced Networking Workshop held at the Naples Chamber of Commerce and facilitated by Realtor Matthew Klinowski and business coach Jessica Macera.

Here's what stuck with me: If you live in a big city, you can pretty much remain nameless and faceless and still do business.

My plan of action: Move to a big city immediately! Just kidding.

I'm thinking if I move to a big city, I wouldn't have to actually be out there meeting people face-to-face. Maybe I could simply do business from my home computer, in my sweatpants, and still be a successful copywriter without ever having to meet anyone in person to try to sell my services.

Hey, some people dream of winning the lottery. I dream of never having to face-to-face network. We all gotta have our dreams, right?

In all seriousness, though, I know that is not reality, whether I'm in a city of a few million or here in Naples where we balloon up to about 300,000 or so from January to April. I must get out there and get to know people and, more importantly, have them get to know me in order for my business to even have a chance of growing.

What really took me back this morning was something business owner Phil Dodd said to me. He had read a previous post where I confessed how scary networking was for me and today he told me that at the last Advanced Networking session he felt I was the most approachable. Wow! That was eye opening. I never pictured myself like that. Maybe that will help me in my networking quest.

In any case, here's what I learned from today's session:

  • Choose the right events that play to your strengths and the application of your business. Of course, to discover which events are right for you, it may require attending some that turn out to not be a good fit, but you won't know that until you show up.
  • Be consistent in your networking and marketing efforts. As Matt quoted, "Repetition is recognition." And remember, more often than not, a simple message that is well executed is typically much more effective than one that is extravagant with no real thought-out plan.
  • Carry a pen with you at events and when you collect a business card from someone you really made a connection with, place a check mark on that card to trigger your memory when plugging that person into your database.
  • Keep notes about your contacts. This works well in Outlook which provides a spot for notes. As Jessica pointed out, keep notes about each person's likes and dislikes which can spur conversation the next time you meet them.
  • Organize your contacts. Keep a list of casual contacts versus those you consider "hot pursuits."
  • Maintain a regular follow-up schedule. Whether you follow-up with an email one day after meeting someone or deliver a handwritten note to them within a week, make a plan and stick to it.
  • Let your personality shine through. The more you let people see the real you, the more memorable you will be. Stand out from the crowd.

But the most important point is that networking is a lifestyle. If you commit to it in whatever capacity, you will follow-through and get it done. Happy networking!

No comments: