Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Smart travel advice

I've received a lot of good advice about traveling, not just to Panama but out of the country in general.

  1. Wear a money belt inside your clothes to keep the bulk of your money in. Of course, I'm thinking inside the bra or shoe might work, too!
  2. Remove the memory card from your digital camera as often as you can. This way, in case the camera gets stolen, you still have your photos.
  3. At least try to speak the language so the locals see you are making an effort (it may endear them to you more).
  4. Let your credit card company know you are traveling so when strange purchases start showing up, a fraud alert isn't placed on your card.
  5. Know the currency. In Panama's case, I've learned that it is best to travel with bills smaller than $50 and not to bring traveler's checks because most places won't accept them.
  6. Stand your ground. Act like you know where you are going and don't let locals take advantage of you.

I'm thinking that last piece of advice may be more difficult to pull off. Being a blondie in Panama is not really going to help my case. In fact, it will just scream "gringa" to the locals.
So, armed with "Habla ingles?", a map tucked in my pocket, and my arm around my 6'6" husband, me and my blondie self are ready to take on Panama and have a great time!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Another useful tip- Disposable Logins (aka 1 Time Passwords) for when you are using public computers:

http://tinyurl.com/26c74l

Louise

Lysh said...

Louise: Excellent tip! You are so right. You always have to be careful when using public computers, which in this case, I will have to since I won't be traveling with my laptop. Thanks so much. Lysh

Anonymous said...

I've tried hiding money in sneakers before... unless you have Roos with a zipper pocket, I'd skip this... bills can work their way out and then you're out a few $$$. The memory card tip is an excellent one... as you know, we've had our camera stolen, and lost the pics! :( Have a blast!!!!

Lysh said...

Laur: That's exactly why I put that tip in there. What you said about having your camera stolen with its memory card still inside really stuck with me. Thanks for the shoe warning! Lysh