Monday, June 30, 2008

Panama excitement builds


I've got a nervous excitement going on now that the Panama trip is getting closer.
As I’ve said previously, this will be my first time visiting a country where I don’t speak the language, so yes I’m nervous and excited all at the same time.
When my husband first mentioned his interest in Panama a few months ago, I suppose I had the same response most have, which basically consisted of “Where?” followed quickly by “Why?”
But as we’ve done more research on the country and seen amazing photos of the countryside posted on the web, I’m really looking forward to exploring it.
Most of the sites and blogs we’ve visited, and even newspaper articles we’ve read, stress how inexpensive Panama is and so far we have found that to be true.
Our hotel stays for the entire seven-day trip should be no more than $300. And our car rental plus the additional insurance purchase, which we did through Budget, will cost us under $300 for a mid-size, automatic car.
We figure our most expensive trip costs will be gas, because Panama’s prices are similar to those here in the States, and probably our white water rafting excursion. There’s so much to see and do in such a little amount of time, but we hope to hit the areas we really want to see, namely Boquete and Bocas del Toro. Now my husband’s latest idea is to meet with a Realtor and visit some homes for sale just to get any idea. I’m up for that!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I am from Panama and have lived in the States for over 25 years. I try to visit Panama every year and every time I go I am usually amazed with all the changes. We do have some areas that are not good to even pass by (be cautious) but in general, Panama is great and its people very but very friendly; I am sure you will have a great time.

I have a nephew in Panama City who is a realtor...if you would like to contact him, I will be more than happy to provide you with his phone number.

Enjoy my country (I know you and your husband will be loving it!)

Bonnie

Lysh said...

Bonnie: Thanks so much for your reassurance. We are very excited. A little nervous about our limited knowledge of the language and about the driving (especially around the city). And yes, please provide me with your nephew's contact information. That would be great! Lysh