Sunday, June 8, 2008

A Panama feast

Isn't it funny how when you decide to buy something, travel somewhere, or try something new, how many people you discover who have or want the same thing?


For instance, we bought a Honda Pilot a few years back, and at that time I had never heard of or even seen the car before my husband started researching it. As soon as I knew what it was, it was suddenly everywhere. It seemed as though everyone had one. In marketing, I believe this is referred to as a trigger event.

The same thing has happened now that we are traveling to Panama. When mentioning our plans to friends, family and co-workers, suddenly there's someone they know who just moved there, is planning to relocate there, or grew up there. From this, we've made some great, and much needed, connections.

To date, I've shared emails with a woman in Aspen, Colorado, who just built a casita in Panama and who is hoping to permanently relocate there soon. And just this past week, I had lunch with a girl who was born and raised in Panama City and whose family still resides there.

Both were full of fantastic information. So far we've gotten advice on where to stay, what to do, where to shop, and where and what to eat.

Jessica, the Panamanian girl, gushed over the food. It reminded me well ... of me! Everytime I talk about my Jersey hometown, I always go on about the food. And, just like me, Jessica is the first to admit that she misses the food the most (second only to her family, of course).

Her ravings about Panamanian food got me even more excited about the trip ahead. Sure there are McDonalds and KFCs there, but who needs fast food when you can get amazing, traditional Panama food.

Let's see ... our menu is filling up fast!
Guarapo: sugar cane juice
Hojaldre: a breakfast pastry that goes best with cheese or fried eggs
Tamales: unlike the Mexican tamales we have grown to love
Langostinos al ajillo: prawns with garlic
Patacones: fried green plantains with salt
Tajadas: fried ripe plantains
And only 7 short days to feast!

No comments: